Latest acquisition

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

Remember a few weeks back I asked about making a ballast from a
transformer I got out of an X-ray machine?  Well, earlier this
week I also acquired the main transformer and rectifier unit.

Before I do anything with it, I was wondering if it could be put
to use just as it is?  The entire unit is in a oil filled tank
which measures about a foot square and stands three feet high.

Within the tank is a three phase transformer, and an impressive
looking rectifier stack, complete with bleeder resistors, and a
voltage divider network for metering purposes.

The label on the unit, made by Siemens, was in German which I had
a friend translate for me.  The input is 237 Volt, 60 Hertz, three
phase, and the output is 50 Kilovolts D.C.

It was manufactured in 1986, so there's not likely a chance of the
cooling oil containing any PCB's, but non the less, I'm not going
to take a bath in it.  Common sense rather than EPA hysterics will
be the way I'll deal with that!

Suggestions for possible TC or other HV applications appreciated!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca