Re: Cap/SG config

>Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><flyboxboy-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Hi all,
>I am having some trouble with my coil. I was wondering if it was related to
>the way the spark gap and the capacitor are placed.

You're lucky, give it time. If you keep at it, by the end of this year it
will have convinced you that it's Gap, then primary tuning, then quenching,
then interconnects, then coupling are all screwy. Then it's back to the gap
for another round :) This cycle never ends.

I have seen countless
>schematics of Tesla coil primary circuits. Some of them had the capacitor
>in-line with the HV xrfrmr and others had the spark gap. Is there a bigger
>"bang" with one of those configurations?

Not really, at least in our testing. The main difference is how long your
caps will last. Electrically the spark gap is practically indestructable, at
least compared to the caps. Putting the cap in paralell with the NST places
a lot of stress on the cap and will shorten it's life.

The Group places the NSTs, the safety gap, and the main spark gap all in
paralell.

Caps and primary in series with the main gap.

Have fun!

duck

>TIA,
>Matt Shayka