Re: A few questions

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>In a message dated 5/24/01 3:26:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>writes:
> > Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> > <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> > 3. What would a "tripolar" tesla coil look like (like a bipolar but
>three
> > coils
> > run on three phase) i.e. spark behavior, appearance?
> >
> > Jason Johnson
>

>Hi Jason, All!
>         Tripolar coils have been proposed numerous times in the past.
>Theoretically, at any one time there could be arcs between any two of the
>three coils, but they would be somewhat smaller than those produced by a
>bipolar coil. The tripolar coils has been a darling of some UFOlogists and
>other fringe experimenters, but  to my knowledge no one has succeeded in
>building an effective one.

Nope, there has been one a while ago. I remember seeing pics of it on this
list. It was wound on 5 Gal buckets as I remember. I'm sure an archive
search would  turn something up.

Of interest, (IMO) might be a "triple bipolar
>coil". This would be a circle of six, with voltage peaking at the
>diametrically opposed pairs of coils in rotation. If the ionized air and
>plasma in the center did not have time to dissipate, (perhaps inside a
>large
>globe) the results MIGHT be interesting. Toploads would have to be smaller
>or
>of unusual shapes so that they were not closer to each other than to the
>center. Such a system would require a fairly large lab area (hear that
>Chris?!)

Now THAT'S a cool project, a Tesla 6-Shooter :)

To my knowledge, no one has successfully done this yet either.

Not exactly, but someone HAS made a system with 6 (I believe, may be 5)
closely spaced secondaries (about 4"dia each) in paralell.

>Just some thoughts for the future,
>Matt D.

Good ideas :) Now get me $5M and I'll build the High Voltage Lab :)

We're doing a demo for the Coors people this afternoon. And begining the
long process of corporate kissing for our phase-1 funding.

Have fun!

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek