Re: Coil specs, Was Cap/SG config

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Matt,

Poor performance can have any number of causes.  For
one thing, you have a feeble power supply.  For
another thing, spark gap performance is probably the
single most important variable in Tesla coil
performance, and you admitted that you don't even know
the spacing of yours.  I suggest a sturdy single
static gap that is easy to adjust so you can readily
experiment with different gap spacings.

I studied your specs, and I think your cap is too big,
and your primary is too small.  I suggest a new
primary with at least 10 turns, 12 would be better.
Resonant charging might give you a boost, and for that
you need .005uF.  As it turns out, a six pack of 12oz
beer bottles is almost dead-on .005uF, so try removing
four or five of your 15oz jars (after you build the
bigger primary).

Good luck with it,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg