Re: Doubling transformer

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

A doubling transformer?  No good--you're barking up
the wrong tree.  If you're going to go to the trouble
to wind a "doubling transformer", you might as well
wind yourself a custom high voltage transformer and
forget the MOTs.

You can get a voltage boost from your MOT pair by
using resonant charging.  This can be accomplished
with charging chokes on the high voltage side, or
adjustable reactive current limiting on the primary
side.  The goal is to find a secondary impedance that
exactly cancels the reactance of the tank cap,
resulting in 60Hz (or 50Hz) resonance.  This will
increase the charging voltage significantly--if you
can get it to work.  This is hairy stuff, especially
for a beginner.  If you want to know more about it,
you're going to have to ask an engineer--it's out of
my depth. Besides, there are easier ways to make
sparks.

You can use 4kvac to fire a Tesla coil, but you'd need
to ballast your MOT pair to reduce the current--or
else build the mother of all air blast gaps.  If you
want to double the voltage, I suggest the half-wave
voltage doubler circuit employed by the microwave
oven.  Put a doubler cap & diode on each leg of your
4kvac supply, and you'll get 12kvdc with ample
current. The parts you need for this come from the
same oven you got the MOTs from.

FYI, uA stands for microamp (1/1,000,000 Amp).  MOT
secondary current is normally expressed in milliamps
(1/1,000 Amp, mA).

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg