Re: Brass Ball static spark gap not doing so well

The other problem with spheres as opposed to cylinders is that the spark is
going to tend to always come from the same place on the electrode, heating
it up and increasing the chance that the next spark will start at the same
spot (Vacuum tube cathodes are heated for a reason).  With cylinders, the
sparks tend to distribute over the length of the cylinder, reducing the spot
heating.