RE: MOT, and doubler

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Mark

Assuming that the diode is inside the cap, let me describe how I would make
the connections. Inside the cap are the two condenser plates. One plate is
connected to one of the cap's top terminals. The other plate is connected to
the other cap's top terminal and is also connected to the negative side of a
diode. The positive side of the diode is grounded to the cap's metal case.
It is important to determine which of the cap's two top terminals is
connected to the negative side of the diode, and this terminal is usually
marked with the letter C (cathode).  Connect one of the transformer's HV
lead to the metal case of the cap, and connected the transformer's other HV
lead to cap's top terminal that is NOT marked with the letter C. The pulsed
DC current can be taken from terminal C of the cap and the metal case of the
cap. Terminal C is negative and the cap's case is positive.

If the RMS voltage of the transformer is V, then the peak voltage output of
the voltage doubler is given by 2 times (the square root of 2) times V. If V
= 2000 volt, then peak voltage = 5,657 volts.

Also inside the cap is a 10 MEG. ohm resistor used to bleed the charge from
the cap after the voltage doubler is turned off. It is connected across the
condensor plates or across the diode. If the resistor is connected across
the condensor plates, it will bleed the residual charge directly across the
plates. If the resistor is connected across the diode, it will bleed the
residual charge through the transformer's secondary winding. It takes about
one minute to bleed the residual charge. Think safety here at all times

Godfrey Loudner