Re: How much salt?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Bob,
  Since the capacitance is due to the dielectric ie, the glass, the amount of
salt is not critical.  It is there for conductance, and I would think the more
the better.
  I don't know about the shavings.   They could cause the bottles to break
under high voltage stress, but who knows?   I haven't heard of anyone trying
it.
  The spring steel might also work well.  It would make the bottles into a
leydon jar of sorts.
   Why wouldn't the oil float?  Oil  has a lower density than water and
especially salt water.
Mike