Re: Working with G-10

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

David,
The titanium nitride drills will work on G-10 but I always start with a small
size drill and work up to the final size. So if, for example, I am drilling a
1/4 inch hole I will drill 1/8
first. I use a carbide tipped band saw blade of 4 TPI to cut the G-10. The
blade comes from McMaster-Carr which is also a good source for plastics and
the composites
like G-10. I use mostly 1/4 inch G-10 but I have drilled and cut 1/2 inch
sheets. I have also tried a carbide tipped blade on the table saw. Gotta work
very slowly and take shallow cuts. I prefer working on the bandsaw for what I
think is a very important reason: the dust.
I think that stuff is deadly to inhale and the table saw blows the dust all
over you and the shop. On the band saw I can set up an elaborate contraption
with the shop vac to grab the dust from above and below the saw throat. When
I am finished, the inside of the vacuum hose is covered solid with the G-10
dust. I think it is dangerous stuff and reason enuff not to use the table saw.

Hope this helps.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman