From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 7:03 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Solid-state coil (gate xfrmr question)

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Carl,
         Siemens N27 or Philips 3C8(5) or 3F3 material will be OK for
the core. The winding inductances should be reasonably high to
minimize primary current and energy storage in the core. Note that
during the "on" period, primary current ramps up by: Ip = V.t/Lp
Doubling the number of turns quadruples Lp and drops Ip to 1/4 of
that value which halves N.Ip (magnetizing force) and quarters core
energy. You want good coupling between the primary and secondary
windings.
       You will need some resistance connected across the secondary
winding to drain what little energy there is. It's a good idea to
check the final result for spiking and adjust the resistance to
eliminate it before hooking the MOSFET up or disaster will strike.
       What is you supply voltage? Is the isolation barrier a
necessity?

Regards,
malcolm