A possible TSG controller

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all,
  The recent interest in the TSG got me thinking(run for the hills!!).   I have
a Dayton model 4X796E motor speed control meant for AC/DC motors.  Just for
fun, I hooked it up to an Accel car coil I had laying around with a 2uF cap in
series.  I had no idea if it would work or go up in smoke, but just had to try
it.
  It seems to work.  I could not use the whole range of the controller, and I
have no idea if it works to change the phase at all, but thought I'd mention
it.  I also don't know if it would work indefinitely.  I only played with it
for about ten minutes or so.
    If nothing else, it could possibly be used for a mini coil whose primary
cap is charged by a car coil.  I will see about winding a baby coil and testing
it out, but don't know how quickly I'll get to it.  My first coil ever was