Re: First light for an old coiler

In a message dated 11/6/01 9:43:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Dave,

Regarding the issue of how much power and voltage a short coil
can withstand...  much depends on the breakrate.  This is
something that is seldom discussed.  This is why
differing answers to this question are given.  A short secondary
can handle more power at a high breakrate because the bang
size and voltage output is lower for a given input power.
However low breakrates appear to be more "efficient".  For this
reason a tall coil is much better than a short one for overall
maximum efficiency.  A tall coil will tend to reduce the over-coupling.

Cheers,
John