Re: Coating secondary (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:36:11 -0400
From: G <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Coating secondary

>Hi Jonathon
>

>Quick, Cheap, Good. Only two of these conditions can coexist in any project.
>It's inherent in the nature of the universe, (like Quantum states).
>I've used Envirotex Lite pour-on high gloss finish (not cheap) on
>one coil, and
>many coats of polyurethane on another. (not quick). I also tried spray [poly
>(not good).
>
>Matt D.

I have found one method that is reasonably quick, cheap, and good.
The finish is so nice I would have built my winder just for it alone.

I bought a can of minwax clear poly and left it open for a while
until it thickened up a bit. (I left the can open long enough to form
a solid layer on the surface, then poked through it.) I brushed the
honey-like poly onto the coil (one coat only) while it was rotating
in the winder and then babysat it for about 30-60 mins. I ran the
brush gently over the surface to smooth the thick areas which seemed
to form every few minutes.

I used a halogen drop-light to help heat the coil. One coat is as
thick as 30 were on my first coil using fresh poly. This one took
1/10th of the time of my first and looks very professional. I am
pleased, to say the least!

I hope someone else will have success with this! Much cheaper than
the epoxy coat, also.

Gregory