Re: TSG vs RSG (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:37:00 -0800
From: Mike Nolley <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: TSG vs RSG

> Without having built such a gap yet, I can only go on reason and
> evidence I've seen from Dr Rzsesotarski's recent measurements. My
> opinion is that a TSG will be lossier because of the long arc channel.
> The fact that it is reported as being brighter and louder than other
> types of gap speaks volumes.

        Why not build a triggered spark gap in a pressurized environment?  This would bring down the
length of the arc channel considerably--especially if a gas such as hydrogen were used.  Since hydrogen
is fairly difficult to get ahold of in small quantities, alchohol vapor might be substituted.  This
project wouldn't be suitable for most experimenters because of the potential for explosion, but it is
still worth considering.