Re: [Tesla-2] High Power Factor Neon Transformers

Original poster: "Jim Mora by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jmora-at-jetlink-dot-net>

Thanks Bert,

You shed much light on  PFC, though I am still concerned about the output "P"
due to power correction and the somewhat PFC loss effect of the .0212 uf MMC
tank. I must be missing something here.

The tank caps are tuned to resonate with the xformer effectively that approach
nearly eliminating the shunts? Yes?

Without getting too deep into this, will the recommended tank capacity still
allow for maximum power transfer (1800 Va), or did I buy a second boat anchor
to lug outside? I guess I'm lost in the -J plane, but I believe in the
conservation of energy theory ;-).

Know that I am running a dedicated circuit from my over designed main. And
since I live in California, we live with candle power most of the time:-) I can
afford to draw excess power now and then.

The bottom line here is: given there is loss across the dual PFC's, will my
effective power to the coil be halved and will the tank resonate at optimum? Be
patient with me, I started with vacuum tubes and my razor is becoming dull :-)

Jim