G-10 Success

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my G-10
question. I picked up my 12" X 24" X 1/2" thick slab of G-10
epoxy glass composite at a local plastics supplier and was
only out $63. I hear that a 12" X 12" X 1/2" piece from Mc-
Maser -Carr runs $50. Anyway, I was using the G-10 to re-
place the 3/8" lexan stationary electrode support pillars that
finally broke from heat, vibration and occasional striking against
the rotory electrodes. With the 1/2" thick G-10, I was also able
to cut a 1" wide strip of the G-10 to fasten across the G-10
stationary support pillars to prevent excess vibration that could
allow the stationary electrodes to come in contact with the
rotory electrodes when the RSG was running. G-10 rocks!

My two rotors are still constructed of 3/8" lexan and for the time
being, I will leave them in the RSG, as they are still functioning
properly. I may eventually want to cut two more replacement
discs from the remaining G-10 to replace the current lexan ones
and even replace the threaded brass electrodes with tungsten.
I will most likely have to have the disc cut out by a machinist
as I don't have the proper tools for cutting out a perfect circle.

Anyway, I thought that I mention the $63 price tag on that 1/2"
X 12" X 24" piece of G-10 from a local plastic supplier to anyone
that was planning on purchasing some of it from McMaster-Carr.
You may want to check with your own local plastic suppliers and
see what kind of deal that they can get for you. As a side note,
the local plastic supplier did have to order the G-10 for me as they
did not carry it in stock and it took about a week to get it in. Also,
the same sized piece of lexan would have cost me $49, so there
was not a big price advantage to opting for lexan over G-10, as I
would have thought.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben