Re: [Tesla-2] High Power Factor Neon Transformers

In a message dated 11/11/01 8:55:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I have two paralleled Transco "high power factor" 15/60 transformers.
> The threads on this issue verses a "normal" power factor one seem vague
> at best to me. Is "high power factor" power phase correction or some
> change in shunting differing by manufacturer?

Jim,

When a NST is used in a Tesla coil, it can deliver more output
power than when it's used with neon tubes.  My guess is that
your high power factor 15/60 can deliver around 750 watts
into an LTR cap, when 120 volts is fed to the NST.  If a resonant
(matched) value cap is used, the NST may output more than
900 watts, but this is not recommended.  If you drive the
NST with a step up type variac that provides 140 volts or so to
the NST (using an LTR cap), then the NST may output more than
900 watts also.

Cheers,
John