Re: Secondary Coil design

In a message dated 11/15/01 2:14:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hello List,
>
>  I have noticed a failure pattern in all of my secondary coils and am
>  searching for a solution. Each one has had a failure within the
>  bottom 25 turns (shorts between turns).

Gregory,

If that happens, there's something wrong.  It would be helpful
if you mentioned all the specs of your coil (sizes, power, etc).
Then we can maybe give a better answer.  You may be
over-powering the coil, or it may be over-coupled, or the wire
insulation may be defective, etc.

>  I may try using a larger gauge wire toward the bottom to help deal
>  with the higher current in this region. Is current even the problem?

Current is not a concern, but thicker wire does help to prevent
racing sparks by improving the insulation, and by reducing the
coupling.  Normally thicker wire at the bottom is not needed
except perhaps on some very powerful coils of special design.

Cheers,
John