Re: Push-pull Tube coil First Light, Plate transformer.

Original poster: "Michael H Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

>  Biggest problem I have at the moment is finding a suitable core to wind my
> plate tranny on.  I'm needing something in the 5-6kva range.  An old arc
welder
> would be awesome, assuming I could get the core apart without ruining it.  I
> want to run the tranny off 240v and get 2500v (2800v by tapping the primary).
> With a center-tapped design that means I should have 5.2:1 turns ratio
for each
> secondary.  I have all the parts for a suitable winding jig, I just need
to rig
> up a turns counter and find a core.  I'm wanting in the 5-6kva range from
it, I
> can ballast it externally if needed.

    Try a microwave oven transformer.  I'm going to be ebaying a couple of
beauties in that
range which you might be interested in. (or you can scrounge around a
microwave oven repair
shop :)  If you need even more power, running them in parallel is a cinch.

        --Mike