Re: G-10 Success

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kent Vander Velden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <graphix-at-iastate.edu>

>   For what is is worth, as Chip mentioned here before (1997),
> a 12x12x1/2" piece of G10 is $35 from Colorado Plastic
> 1-303-443-9271.  I just ordered a piece from them and it
> is the same price today as it was then.
>
>   For comparison the local dealer here wanted $45 / foot^2 + $80 to cut
> the stuff.
>
>   Several places have been warning me about machining and cutting the
> stuff.  One place said they ware respirators and body suits.  Anyone
> have any hints to give on machining the stuff?

The level of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when you
machine the stuff 8 hours a day, 5 days a week on a production basis is
very different from that required (or sensible) when you machine it for 10
minutes every 2 years. The hazard is fine glass dust/particles (and to a
certain extent, the decomposition products of hot epoxy..). Bad stuff to
breathe, annoying stuff to get on your skin (it itches), bad stuff to get
in your eyes.  Decent dust mask, eye protection, and a "throwaway" long
sleeve shirt (since you won't have to wear it very long, one of those $5
plastic disposable painting smocks works well.)  Liquid lubricants help
control the inevitable spread of dust, etc.