From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 6:43 PM
Subject: Can 833's be...................

<Robynsaddiction-at-aol-dot-com>

> I wonder if 833A's can be run horizontally? I have to ask, because 833
sockets
> are a little rougher to come by then the actual tube itself:^) Hum? Oh
yeah, I

Yep, they run fine horizontally, so long as you keep the terminals in the
vertical plane.  In other words, the plate must be vertical in the tube, and
it must be nearly perfectly vertical, or else the filament sags and it can
short to the grid windings or even worse, the plate.  Drop me an email
offline at sundog-at-timeship-dot-net and I'll send you pics on how I make my brass
clips.

> am almost ready to fire up my tube coil, however instead of using a piece
of 6"
> OD for the primary form I used the only thing that I had laying around
which
> was a piece of 4."
> I wonder if I will get a flashover. Also, I already have one 833A and am

The size of the secondary is fine :)  There is impedance matching to
consider, but it's not a vital part to worry about.  I learned from the List
that the best plate to put the grid winding is underneath the primary, to
keep voltage stress on it down.

> wanting to see how it will run all by itself before I get the other 833s.
(The
> truth is, I WANT TO SEE SOME PULSED DC NOW!) Wonder if it is good on the
tube.

The tube won't really know the difference :)  The plate has positive voltage
on it, and sucks up electrons from the filament.  Pulsed DC is just chopped
up AC ;)  It's best for the control grid never to go positive (if it's
positive it'll act like a little plate and source current).

> That is, using one tube instead of two. Yes, yes, I know it is probably a
> foolish question, but this is my first tube coil, so I should be allowed
at
> least a few of them for this project. Thanks list>

You can easily put 2 tubes in parallel.  Putting 2 tubes in push-pull is a
little more difficult (it works best on a smoothed DC supply).  Each tube
you add to your setup adds to the current handling ability (not the total
sparklength, my 2 tubes in parallel make the same length spark as a single
tube).  My MOT setup can only put out ~1kw to the tube.

Shad