Re: PFC current load

Hi Jonathan,

If you place a cap directly across the AC line, like for a PFC cap, the current
is:

I = Vac x (2 x pi x F x C)

I is the RMS current
Vac is the RMS line voltage
pi = 3.14159...
F = 50 or 60 Hz.  AC line frequency
C is the capacitance in "Farads"

So a 100uF cap is:

 I = 120 x (2 x 3.14159 x 60 x 100e-6) = 4.52 Amps RMS

It is proportional so a 50uF cap is 2.26 amps and a 200uF cap is 9.04 amps.

Cheers,

        Terry