re:transformer theory q

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Many thanks for all the responses so far to the transformer theory question.
I think the answer to question 1 can be summarized as:

	fewer turns in the primary lowers its inductance and causes the
	primary current to increase (at least when the secondary is unloaded,
	not so sure about the loaded case). the effect is rather large,
	a 10% decrease in primary turns can cause 5x primary current in the
	unloaded condition.

I still have not heard a clear answer to part 2, what happens (to the primary
current) when there are more than the recommended primary turns (take +10%
as an example).

I am thinking of trying many taps on a test primary and finding the one that
minimizes the primary current (in the unloaded secondary condition), does this
make sense? If I do this what happens when I put the shunts back in (or some
fraction of the shunts), or should I do the experiment with the shunts?

thanks,
Peter Lawrence.