Re: MMC

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Mike,
     handy formula for "resonance" sized cap is
        mA / kV * 2.652 => nF
for example 46 / 10 * 2.652 => 12-nF, so yes your .012-mF cap is resonant.

23 long strings is 434 volts per cap, which is way conservative. I've been
using 12 long strings on 9kV (750v/cap) since I got my MMC caps a year ago
and have not had any problems, I'ld use 12 long for 10kV also, maybe 13 if
you're being overly careful, and 14 if you're superstitious!!!.

Cutting the strings down almost in half will almost double your cap, this
will be very LTR, and you might even want to experiment with only 4 or 5
strings also.

BUT, if you're burning out your transformers the most probable cause is
not having a safety gap. I run "resonance" sized caps and have not burned
out a transformer since I built and installed a safety gap.

Peter Lawrence.