Re: transformer theory q

>         Agree on Steinmetz.  As i recall, his methods were much
>         more user friendly than Tesla's.
>
>         Tesla Transformers AT THE TIME (say ca 1890) meant what we
>         now call an AC power transformer.  I've not got a specific
>         cite (wish i did....)  Tesla's name (reportedly) was on
>         the name plates, along with Westinghouse Corp.

1. Transformers have been around since the days of Joseph Henry.  AC
power transformers, even ones with laminated cores, were around well
before Tesla's debut.

2. Don't know about Tesla's name on transformers, but in the Smithsonian
Edison exhibit, part on Niagra Falls exhibit is a name plate from one of
the original AC generators there.  It lists about a dozen patent
numbers, ALL(!) in Tesla's name.  The exhibit may not be there now, as I
last saw it several years ago during the period when the Smithsonian was
totally ignoring Tesla.  Someone must have failed to notice those patent
names!

>         Neglect winding resistance, neglect leakage reactance,
>         rarely (if ever) see the magnetizing current, esp the
>         first cycle surge mentioned...  These are all 'second
>         order' effects, granted, but quite real, and of concern
>         when handling KW and MW.

	Anyone who has ever connected something as small as an unloaded 10 amp
variac to the line has probably noticed the lights blink now and then,
due to the initial inrush current caused by the DC component of the
input voltage due to switching at other than 0° phase.  Not a second
order effect at all!

>         I'm not sure i understand 'pulse transformers' as 'ultimate
>         power transformers'.  One is (typically) optimized for max
>         bandwidth and 'fidelity' (if those differ), the other for
>         max efficiency at One freq and economical performance.

	I mentioned pulse transformers because they are extremely wide band,
and their performance is often limited by distributed capacitance within
the transformer.

Ed