Re: NST unpotting

Hi Ben,

The primary windings should have a very low resistance, like one ohm.

The secondaries will be in the 3 - 15K ohms range.

There should be no primary to secondary resistance (>10Meg ohm).

There should be a very high resistance from the primary to case (>10Meg ohm).

The center grounded secondaries should have, very roughly, 5k ohms to the case.

If I were going to test them, I would run them for one hour open load and
one hour shorted.  If that does not kill them, they are good.

To test the secondary voltages over such a wide range, I would simply see
if both sides arc to the case equally.  NSTs die one side at a time, so if
one side is bad it should be very obvious.  Unless an NST is bad, do not
worry with depotting them.  They can run perfectly fine as is.  NSTs
usually fail due to over voltage which LTR caps and protection filters can
easily protect against.  Simple safety gaps will protect against 90% of NST
failures.

You probably have a lot more questions and we have a lot more answers on
this subject :-))

Cheers,

	Terry