My variac bites =0

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi all,

My variac is grounded to the mains ground. On firing up the coil, it becomes
very live. The ground does work ( I measured continuity between the earth
socket on the plug and the case) but as soon as I fire up the coil it
becomes live. Its fine, so long as I only touch the plastic handle...

The coil is grounded to 3x 3' copper ground pipes on a 10m bit of ground
wire, as is the strike rail, strike rod and neon ground, as well as the
filter.

Any thoughts???

Best regards,
Jason