Re: My variac bites =0

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/22/01 9:55:14 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Conductive objects that are not bonded to ground can become charged up. Do
> not bond yourself to ground- this is very very dangerous!
>
> My solution was to move further back from the coil and tape a spray paint
> can cover over the variac dial. This stopped me from getting zapped from the
> set screws.
>
> Sue

Sue, Jason,all,

I've experienced this problem in the past myself. I'm now running
a 10 kVA pole pig powered system and I don't have anymore pro-
blems with this. My solution to this annoyance was the installa-
tion of an RF grounded "chicken wire" Faraday screen between
yours truly and the spark spouting behemoth :-0 This screen was
actually originally installed to protect the operator (that would be
myself) from a rogue 12 or 13 footer that may somehow be able
to reach beyond the normal 10 ft range of the streamers inside
my terribly claustrophobic 12 X 20 shop/lab. The elimination of
the "shocking" problem was an extra bonus that I hadn't even
figured on :-)

Sparking in Memphis,
David Rieben