Re: SSTC probs

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> The schematic is the one on www.hvguy-dot-com. Look under FETdriver.
> Now I got the voltage up to maybe 90volts with no prob.Almost a 3 inch brush
> disharge but it detunes itself when I put anything near to draw an arc.

Well now it starts getting better! :o) Congrats!
Arcs: first put something there to draw an arc, then re-tune. This way
it should work. Place a 400V varistor/MOV/VDR accross the mosfet to
protect agains overvoltage.

> Also I noticed EVERYTHING in the pulse circuit
> including the MOSFET has high voltage coming off.It burns me to touch
> anything.How can I stop that?Inside a metal box with the box grounded?The
> coil has 8primary turns.

Better grounding of the primary side would be the answer, as well as
putting the driver in a grounded metal box (for grounding the box, use
mains ground, NOT mains neutral!! or any part of the circuit).

You should be aware that touching anything in the 555 timer circuit is
potentially lethal if you run your circuit off the mains!! This
happens if the "ground" of the circuit is not connected to mains
neutral.

> How would I make this half wave?Just a diode instead of a full bridge?

For the mains rectification? Yup, just one diode => half-wave.

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla