Proper sheathing of the HV power lines/ was: How many STSG's in service?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/24/01 10:29:30 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Barton
>
> I really like the way you take power from the pole pig through plastic
> plumbing pipes. It keep the lethal cables from just lying around. I'm ging
> to use this approach myself. Thanks.
>
> Godfrey Loudner

Godfrey, Bart, all,

Yes, this is definitely a good idea to protect the HV lines and
the operator during Tesla coil operation. Another way that I
came up with is taking standard insulated #10 or #12 stand-
ed bldg. wire and running it through some 1/2" ID vinyl tubing
w/ 1/8" walls (you can purchase this at your local
hardware                                          store). Then, I took the
vinyl sheathed wire and ran
it through some 1" dia. flexible aluminum Romex conduit.
The Romex conduit is RF grounded. This umbilical connect-
ion from my control panel to the coil assembly is about 16 ft
long. The thing that I particularlly like about this setup is that
the streamers cannot hit the HV power line since it is com-
pletely Faraday shielded by the grounded sheath. I'm running
a 10 kVA, 14400 volt pole pig as the power supply and the
vinyl insulation has never failed yet. I know this setup does
add parasitic capacitances to the input power line that may be
undesired, but I have never had any problems with it and it is
a nice flexible, non-rigid power supply line.

BTW, I also encased the standard 120 volt supply line for the
RSG motor in an RF grounded flexible Romex conduit, so I have
two Romex conduits leading from my control panel to the coil as-
sembly.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben