Re: How many STSG's in service?

In a message dated 11/25/01 2:08:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>     My advice to anyone building a SRSG would be to make the disc big.
>  Although it is harder to balance and construct, I believe the resualts are
>  definitely better.
>
>  Best regards,
>  Jason

Jason, all,

I will soon be doing a comparison between a sync rotary and a
sync TSG.  Regarding the large rotors for a sync rotary, I think
it will only work better if the coil demands it.  For 120 bps, the
rotor can be smaller because the cap charges more slowly.
Much also depends on the power level, the ballasting, the cap
size, the electrode thickness, and the motor rpm.  For example
I obtain the same results with a 9" rotor, 7" rotor, and 5" rotor
on my TT-42 TC.  In a properly working system, the gap arc
should quench while the electrodes are still aligned.  This occurs
because the energy has dissipated.  If the rotor is too small,
the power too great, the motor too slow, the cap too small, or
the ballasting not correct, then the gap can "re-fire" while the
electrodes are still aligned, causing heating of the electrodes,
arc-trailing, and inefficient operation.  Often these problems
can be eliminated by rounding the tips of the electrodes some,
especially if they are thick or wide.

Cheers,
John