Re: Toroid question from QuickTC

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Patrick

> I ran QuickTC with the specs on my coil. Under "Top Load Calc", it gave
the Top
> Load Cap value as 24.22 (rounded) pF. Is this the value I want to obtain
in the
> Toroid Calculator under Capcitance?

Sounds quite large - I personally would go for about 15pF for a small coil.
What power are you using, and what secondary coil size???

> Anyway, I assumed it was and I fiddled around with the size settings until
> came up the closest match.  The dimensions I got were 10" ID, 21.81" OD
and
> 5.91" ring diameter. So now, is it just a matter of trying to find some
> material that matches these dimensions as close as possible?

You really dont have to be that exact when building your topload - in fact
with TCs the only thing that you really have to be exact about is the SG
setting and the tuning!!! If you make the topload too big, no problem - just
tune out some, and vice versa if it's too small. I would be very surprised
if anyone managed to tune their coil perfectly from WinTesla or QuickTC - It
just doesnt work like that :o) I would personally go for a it of 5" ducting,
and a total diameter of about 20". If you cant get 5" use 4", if you cant
get 4" or 5" then use 6" - it really isnt important!!!

> Finally, every time I click on Primary Calc, it gives me an error saying
> "Required turns are less than 1 - recheck your inductance and dimensions".
Any
> ideas what this means?

This means that your tank capacitor is too large to be able to tune the
primary... I.e. you need less than 1 turn to tune. I would check to see if
you have missed a zero, or else get a smaller cap.

What are your coil specs?? i mean everything...

Best R,
Jason