TSG beginner Questions

Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>

Just a few questions regarding triggered spark gaps for a beginner...

1) This is my first coil and I just want to get sparks...do they work
considerably better than an RQ spark gap?  They do seem easier to build...

2) I'm was looking at this site and it had a nice simple TSG:
<http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm>http://www.fortu
necity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id42.htm
What is a "motor run capacitor" and do I really need one?

3) What does the dimmer switch do? How does it control the SG?

4) Do I still have to adjust the spacing between the gaps? It seems to me that
setting the initial gap spacing would be difficult.

5) Finally, is there a way to test the TSG? Like could I wire up a cap and my
NST to it just to generate sparks? (ie, tank circuit minus the primary and
secondary).

BTW, I will be using a 15/30 NST for starters (with plans to upgrade) and 8 SW
caps.

Thanks,
Patrick