Re: New (old) bottle cap idea

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dspeck-at-relex-dot-com>

Mike,

I wonder if that was the only formula for silver plating.

I remember from back in analytical chemistry (1971) that we did a silver
mirror test for aldehydes or ketones
(probably ketones).  The mix involved fructose and silver nitrate and
something else.  I don't remember any
mention of explosive byproducts.

Similarly, I've read of the sugar and silver nitrate mixture (with a
"secret ingredient", perhaps urea) which
was used extensively to silver Christmas ornaments in Germany since the
1870's.  Not once in my extensive (20+
years) Christmas collecting experience have I heard mention of explosive
byproducts from the silvering
process, and hundreds of thousands of ornaments, if not millions, were
made in cottage shops.

We'll have to look around further to see if there are alternative
mixtures that might not have dangerous
byproducts.

It also occurred to me that they might still make "Aquadag", trade name
for aqueous dispersion of graphite.
This grey-black material was used for years to coat the inside of CRT.s
as part of the acceleration system.
It allowed old picture tubes to retain a very healthy charge even after
the power was turned off.  Granted it
was a DC application, but I have also seen the same material used on the
interior of the glass emitter stems
of good quality plasma sculptures.  These carry RF at reasonable current
levels, and I bet that it would
support a pretty heavy current of applied thickly enough.

Anyone have any of this material left on a shelf anywhere??

Dave

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>