Re: Coil schematics?

Original poster: "mbarbani by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbarbani-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Terry, Gary,

Thanks for the tips!!  My thoughts were that if the PFC cap is connected
directly across the NST, it would likely be having to keep charging up with
every poewer-up of the coil.  It no doubt would be OK like that but I would
think that since the PFC acts as a "holding tank", it remains fully charged and
"ready to go" when connected across the mains. I run my coil for only 2-3
seconds at a time, but you make a good point about the higher currents
involved.

As for the placement of the safety gaps, it seems there are a couple schools of
thought on that? I've seen them placed directly across the NST output as well
as after the RC network, across the main gap as I have them.  My thinking is
that if anything happens to the main gap, i.e. it gets opened too wide or
somehow gets disconnected, the safety gap is right there to fire off and let
you know. Is there a standard that needs to be set here or am I just blowing
smoke?  Thanks for your comments, you guys are great.

Marc
Ca, USA