Re: chokes

Hi Greg,
        I think chokes are a bad idea. Just about anything you wind
will have a half decent Q and will ring with stray capacitances when
shock excited by the gap discharge. It doesn't take much energy to
generate voltages well beyond the transformer's apparent output
rating when small capacitances are involved in a ringing circuit. The
major cause of NST death is a differential-mode voltage racing back
down the wiring to the transformer terminals from the gap. A safety
gap right at the transformer terminals can catch it but a safety gap
firing should be taken as a warning signal rather than a safety net.
     The other nasty is a common-mode voltage heading towards the
transformer terminals when a secondary discharge strikes the primary.
An RC filter incorporating MOVs is a common solution to these
problems. My approach is to never allow a sec-pri strike, which deals
with the common-mode problem, and to have just a few inches of wiring
between the main gap and transformer which effectively deals with the
differential-mode problem.

Regards,
malcolm

On 3 Oct 2001, at 8:24, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>