Filter for a high power coil

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi all,

I will hopefully be getting my hands on a dirty great 16KVA piggie some time
before the year is out. I was wondering how THE HECK i build a filter for
something this huge!!! Obviously a terry filter would be completely
unsuitible because of the power loss through the resistors. I was thinking
of a choke based filter with some caps to short out the RF and maybee some
MOVS to take nasty strikes or whatever and of course the standard safety
gap, but I dont want to start playing around with chokes after all the
recent discussion about how they cause surges back to the xfmr. I am not
worried at all about the xfmr (i will be running it at half its rated power)
but am more worried about everything on the rest of the house supply...

Does anyone have any advice/experience with such high powered filters?

Thanks,
Jason