KVA Model 9J

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello All.........

I have never asked kVA Effects' staff a question about their equipment as
many times as I have wanted to. I know ya'll are very busy, and I have not
wanted to distract. Please allow me to publicly ask one question, one that I
have been wondering about for at least a few months now.

Alright - I've seen and made all kinds of different coils in all kinds of
different configurations. In every case, I make a comparison between two
things: 1). How it's made. 2). How long the sparks are. We all know this is
the key to making a better performing coil.......

It is stated on kVA Effect's website at www.ttr-dot-com that the model 9J arcs 17
feet with 5kVA of input power. (I think this coil is on the other site too,
I'm not sure).

And my question is ----- how was this done? There must be something at work
here.

This kind of efficiency (especially in a larger coil system) is quite
impressive to say the least. How was the power measured? Is this an amp-clamp
on the input to the pig, or a calculated value?

Perhaps this is some incredibly careful selection of components values (ex.
cap size and break rate) that work together perfectly. I notice several
wonderful things (on the website) that are apparent in all of kVA's coils.
Just at a glance, I notice that a standard "high-current RF" wiring technique
is used which includes short, heavy wiring from component-to component and
"modular" construction. Also, all key components are massively overrated for
efficiency and lifetime. What I'm curious about are things that are NOT so
evident in the pictures, which contribute to the 9J's efficiency.

Let me know so I can see WHY our coil arcs 9 foot with 6kVA in. ; (

Take care, thank you.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150