Re: KVA Model 9J

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/6/01 2:45:09 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

snipperzz....

> Jeff's Model 9J was inspired by Wysock's Model 9.  The coils are about the
> same size but they are NOT carbon copies of each other.  I'm guessing that
> Jeff's 9J was built about 12-15 years after Bill did his original Model 9
> research.  Note that Bills coils have no letters on the model numbers
> (except Bill's maggies which have an "M").  Jeff's coils always have a "J".
>
> Go to Jeff's site and click on equipment.
> Here is a summary of "designed by Jeff" coils.
>
> -----
> 10J
> 25 ft, 240V, 100A, therefore 24KVA or 1.04 ft/KVA
>
> 9J
> 16 ft, 240V, 75A, therefore 18KVA or 0.88 ft/KVA
>
> 8J
> 12 ft, 240V, 50A, therefore 12KVA or 1.00 ft/KVA
> -----
>
> I'm betting that Jeff's numbers are "reliable" arc lengths and not the
> occasional long streamer that all coilers sometimes measure on a cold night
> with no wind, a full moon, and after torturing the Edison voodoo doll.  Keep
> in mind the numbers on his page are used to size power requirements so it
> only makes sense to publish medium arc length values and high power demand
> values.
>
> A 9 ft arc with 6KVA in (1.5 ft/KVA) is really good!
>
> Most people never get the Freau empiracle equation of 1.7*sqrt(VA).
> You are getting very close (9ft vs 10.9 ft).  Congratulations.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ross Overstreet
> Austin, TX

Justin, Ross, all,

I have to concur with Ross on this issue, too. My "Medusa"
coil system produces consistant 8 to 10 footers from 240
volts at about 35 to 40 amps input, so I'm a little ways shy
of Freau's efficiency formula, too. Of course I am running
asynch and STR (smaller than resonant) with a ballasted
10 kVA, 14.4 kV pole pig, so that probably has something
to do with a little less apparent efficiency, as far as spark
length vs. input power goes :-)

<The numbers that you quote are found on Bill Wysock's Model 9 page.
<See http://www.ttr-dot-com/model9_page2.htm.
<You'll have to redirect this question to Bill.  I'm *guessing* the 5KVA
<refers to a 5KVA pig that is being severely abused :-)

That would be my guess, too. Remember, you can pull several
times the nameplate rating of kVAs from a pole pig for relative-
ly short runs.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben