Re: solid state magnifier...accidentally...cool!

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com>

Hi Justin,
I've been messing with a 555 driven flyback circuit this week, myself. I was
reading the specs on 555s, and aparently, they can reach a maximum frequency
output of 500kHz!!! So I decided to exploit a circuit for plasma globe
purposes. I completely threw out the duty cycle pot on my circuit (as it
doesn't do much unless you use the dual pot and diode version- later maybe).
So I got mine running from 1kHz-347kHz...
Very interesting results! Plasma globes work better with high frequency,
while voltage has less effect than one might expect. I got a tiny (>3mm)
arc, but the streamers were much nicer than at the resonate frequency of the
flyback where the arcs were more commonly 10mm.
Like you noticed, current is strangely high. I used my circuit to melt
solder, and the arc itself was hot enough to start my workbench (at school
:-) on fire from 1/2" away (luckily the bench has enough soldering iron
burns to camoflauge the mark it left).
I'm planning on making a small maggie based on the flyback later this week
( using a 2N3055 -TO3 style- with some inventive cooling for operation at
higher power) Perhaps a pentium heatsink and fan might be in order :-))
Good luck with your testing, I'll post my results and I look forward to
hearing about yours also.

~

I've been off the coiling beat for quite some time now, but I can't quit
cold turkey ;-)
Ciao!
-Mike Novak