Re: solid state magnifier...accidentally...cool!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi again....

(snip from Matthew Smith)
> What are the values of the passive components that you used?  I
> wouldn't mind trying to replicate your results.

Well, I'm guessing that this is going to be difficult at best. I'm sure the
MOSFET was using very little if anything from the output of the 555 chip. I
think I just got *really* lucky with a spurious oscillation......it happened
to be at 300kHz or so which was the right frequency of one of my secondaries
(the 37 gauge one). This is hilarious...

As far as your batteries go, they would work fine but you'll have to build a
variable voltage regulator for it. I use an LM317 with 2N3055 DC pass
transistors to beef up the current output. The circuit only worked at a
certain exact voltage. This is a typical thing with weird oscillations, they
only happen at certain input voltages. Weird.

Yeah, it's a good idea to keep the batt's away from the bonfire on top of the
coil's ; )

(snip from "the other Matt...Matt Fucian?")
> Sounds VERY intersting!
>
> Let me know of any more results!Also, i have a PSU for the lamp in a
> scanner.Nice little thing.Makes about 1mm of spark.What is a typical
> frequency of these things?

I know what you're talking about....the little circuit that drives the
flourescent back-lit display? Usually green or orange colored....easy on the
eyes...

I played with a couple once, the freq. seemed like a few tens of kilohertz.
Maybe one kV of output voltage...that's what mine was (as roughly as I can
estimate by sparklength....+ or - 2 kilovolts!!!)

Later.......

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150