Re: secondaries

Hi Greg,

On 8 Oct 2001, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering. My new coil will be 10 or 12" diameter. 5 years ago,
> Richard Quick and Hull used to say that coils of this size should be
> wound with an aspect ratio of 3:1 eg: 10" diameter = 30" long. They
> should then be wound with a wire that allows between 800 and 1000 turns.
> I've taken this advice with all my coils and have had some good
> results. However, lately, I have noticed some web sites with 10 and 12"
> coils (eg: Robin Copini's page and HVGUY) that have very large aspect
> ratios (4:1 and over). Has this general 3:1 rule changed since I last
> made a coil? What is the "general rule" these days?

Some theoretical work and measurement shows that the lower aspect
ratio scores a higher unloaded Q for the same length of wire.
However, the unloaded Q's are so high anyway (typically 200 upwards)
that going to a higher aspect ratio has more benefits: a much higher
voltage handling capability and moving the business end of the coil
further from the primary to minimize strikes in the vicinity of the
primary. From a personal angle, while strikes near the primary don't
worry me, especially if there is a guard ring fitted, I think it
rather detracts from the display to have arcs constantly shooting
vertically rather than splaying out in all directions.

Regards,
Malcolm