Re: solid state magnifier ---

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions for the solid state stuff.
And the hydrogen part is quite interesting too ; )

To Robert H: Yes, 3055's do suck, my best friend Aron Koscho has always used
TV horizontal transistors instead. He gave several to me a long time
ago......the suckers are rated 1500 volts. TO-3 case too. I'm guessing the
RCA 40411 you're referring to is some type of horiz. output xstr also...

This solid state stuff kicks some serious ***. As soon as I actually got
some output from that base-driven resonator, I was thrilled, and really was
inspired to do more. A while back, Aron gave me four IRF840's........500V -at-
14 amps or so, and I'm in the process of building a circuit around them. The
circuit is on Richie Burnett's website at:

www.richieburnett.co.uk

I breadboarded the TL494 (NTE replacement chip is NTE1729) and associated
circuitry for it, the output looks great. I'm going to build the current
amplifying part tomorrow (push-pull with TIP3055's and TIP42's......Richie is
using ZTX450's and ZTX550's but I'm hoping these xstrs will work since they
are NPN and PNP and have similar ratings......I'm hoping to "Americanize" his
original design)

; ( last night I killed the chip (5 bucks) when I accidentally shorted the
output for about 3 seconds.....I knew when I heard that snapping/cracking
sound the chip was toast. And it was ; (

Anyhow, after the driver is finished I will attempt the MOSFET H-bridge. Aron
built Richie's half-bridge coil driver...........it's beautiful and works
great....and now I know what cores (for the two isolation transformers) to
use for MY circuit --- the ones HE used of course! I can't wait to get this
thing up and running.

If you've never seen a SSTC operate before, you need to. It is a trip. Quiet,
powerful...and HOT. It looks like someone built a fire on top of the
topload.......

Check out the MPG on Richie's page......the output of his SSTC is melting,
and burning, the tool steel from a screwdriver. Great video. Thanks Richie
for the massive amount of information on your site. It has been my bible for
the past month or so for SSTC work. Alan Sharp also has some great stuff,
although it's a little more complicated IMHO.

Later,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-3 #1150