Re: Silly question?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Thanks Godfrey,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> Hi Marc
>
> The cores are ok for a HV transformer.

Cool, I've been cleaning things up and looking to build a winder for
this project. i have some "GLYPTAL" HV transformer kits with epoxy and
fiberglass cloth with tape. I'm thinking maybe layers between windings?

 I have three dental x-ray
> transformers with cores of the same oval shape. The HV section is divided
> into two coils located on the center leg.

Are they butted end to end and the primary split with opposing winding
directions?

 Beneath each HV coil is a primary.
> Each HV coil has one lead grounded to the core. The x-ray transformers are
> essentally NSTs, but with no current limiting features. Contact Mike at
> e-mail address arcsnsparks-at-parlorcity-dot-com and ask him to e-mail you his
> transformer design engine.

Will do. I'm assuming that i am not to use any gapping of the two core
sections? Would it be feasible to wind many secondary bobbins, each one
rather narrow (kinda like the spools that fishing line come on) so i
could add more to get higher and higher primary-secondary ratio's?

 The design engine is not on the web. You can down
> load Mike's engine that calculates approximate parameters for square and EI
> cores. You can consider your core to be an EI core.

Even though these cores are more like big "U"'s, I should think of them
as EI cores?

> Godfrey Loudner

Thank you for the help in this project,
Marc