Re: Flyback sparkgap

Yes, it IS a safety gap.  Most TVs have several of these in strategic
places, often on the little circuit board hooked to the gun end of the
tube.  If you have a flashover from the anode to, for instance, the screen
grid, you don't want to cook the drive electronics, so a spark gap to clip
the transient is a handy, and cheap, way to reduce the problem.

Flashovers are more common than you might think.  Consider all that dust
that settles out inside the cabinet (when was the last time YOU opened up
your TV and cleaned all the detritus out).

<PsychoticMinds1-at-aol-dot-com>