Re: Flyback sparkgap

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> I remember that my brothers tv stopped working once, I pulled the back
> off and it seemed that a mud dauber wasp had gotten into what looked
> like a little spark gap and was shorting it out.
> I removed the wasp then the tv worked fine.

> So i have seen a spark gap on a tv, but have no idea of what it was for?

	Prevents WORSE damage, in case of overvoltage, typically
	in case of failure elsewhere driving voltages out of limits.

	Color sets (especially) operate REAL CLOSE to the X-Ray
	generation level: precautions are taken to prevent,
	by destruction, if necessary, inadvertent operation in
	un safe modes.  It was (and is, i expect) possible to get, eg
	caps with built in gaps to protect them...

	best
	dwp