RE: TSG

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 5:06 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: TSG

Original poster: "christopher gardner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cgardner-at-functionforge-dot-com>

Many thanks to the poster of the TSG schematics and photos.

I have a question of a more pragmatic nature....

I see what it is ... and I think I understand how it works....but can anyone
discuss its general use?

ie...is this preferable for NST use or heavier duty application?
The fan control is not recommended for driving an NST.

Should it be used in concert with any other type of gap?
Sure, why not?

Is there a known limit to its power handling capability ?
Depends on the fan control or the replacement Triac.

Does the fan control manipulate the initial firing of the gap, or the firing
rate..... in other words variable frequency?
The fan control controls how much of each half cycle of the 60Hz AC line
voltage is passed on to the HEI coil.  The frequency does not vary.

Since the electrodes are mounted in adjustable fixed post....is there a
recomended method of establishing initial gap distances....or is it by feel
and
operation....?
This is usually determined by experiment.  Set the gap a little more than
the NST would arc across alone.  In my playing with it (not in the TC duty
yet) in a sucker gap, the NST will power arc if the vacuum cleaner is turned
off, but cutting of the trigger with the vacuum cleaner on puts the arc out.

Thanks

Christopher Gardner
Regards,
Pete Komen