Re: why 4 Ohms in PARALLEL with trigger coil primary?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Terry, Ted, All
The 4 ohm resistor got into the circuit kinda on accident, I was messing
around with the gap hooked to a primary and when i connected the
resistor before the cap i could maintain the trigger arc, by itself,
throughout a wider range of the dimmers adjustment.
I tried several different values but the 4 ohm seemed to work best?
I connected the tank circuit and it seemed that the main gap fired
smoother with, then without?
It could be true that it does little in circuit, I will try to look on a
scope at the difference.
Maybe every auto coil is different, every dimmer is different and needs
it's own setup? But the gap works well enough with just the
dimmer-cap-coil that coilers shouldn't be scared away from using it.
The reason i went to a higher current triac is from the scope traces
from terry showing the spiking that was going on, I figured that with
the basic three component gap, It could use a stronger triac? After i
replaced the wimpy triac with the hefty one, i didn't blow any more
units.
The schematic Ted made and with the resistor in line to the cap, I know
works so it at least is a good starting point.
Maybe as more coilers start using the gap, we will see a bunch of mods
to increase performance?