Re: why 4 Ohms in PARALLEL with trigger coil primary?

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi List,

May be the resistor in parallel with the coil are there to limit
the ring of voltage in the couple induction/capacity. In
simulation software I get high voltage and unstable operation
with out resistor parallel to the ignition coil but I used 100
ohm resistor in the simulation ?????

Cheers,

Luc Benard

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> At 06:49 AM 10/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >More to add:
> >Last night I checked my notes with respect to those two paralleled 8 ohm, 20
> >W, resistors.
> >After my last exchange with Terry while putting the tgap togther, I moved
> >them from the position shown on the schematic in my paper.
> >Their final (working) position is in series with the HOT (Black) lead after
> >the Lutron and before the HEI coil. I will modify the schematic and send
> >another copy to Terry so he has the most accurate info.
>
> OK,  That explains why they aren't on fire :-))  So they are probably in
> series which matches my memory of our discussion back then.
>

> >No matter what I tried, when they are across the 120 input, they are
> >dangerous unless you want a toasted English Muffin.
>
> They should burn right up but the dimmer may only limit them to getting
> white hot :-))
>

> >Are they performing a service in this series position? I do not know.
> >However, even if they are now just decoration, the tgap works so I don't
> >care.
>
> Hmmmm.  There is a chance they are just not doing too much.  Or maybe they
> are doing something wonderful...  I am not at all sure.  Maybe Marc knows.
> If it works, it works.  But maybe we need to figure out a few of the finer
> details still :-))
>

> >Terry, Marc, others...if you evaluate the reason for the resistors and can
> >add to the knowledge base here, I am sure interested in the "why."
>
> My big resistors were to make the coil look less like a big
> capacitor/inductor and more like a resistor so that the dimmer would see
> more of the kind of load it was meant for.  However, you dimmer is designed
> for reactive loads (fan control) so things are different.  I don't know to
> much more at this moment regarding the fan control operation and what it
> all means...
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry
>

> >Safety First