Re: 4th Harmonic Possibility?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 5:27 PM
Subject: 4th Harmonic Possibility?

> Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> I have heard that harmonics always occur in odd
> multiples.

Nope... all harmonics occur.  For instance, the characteristic tone of a
violin is mostly due to second harmonic.  For symmetric square waves, the
odd harmonics are most prevalent. For impulses (i.e. short pulses relative
to the interpulse interval), you get all harmonics.  Sawtooths have all
harmonics in a generally decreasing amplitude.  Given that disruptive (spark
gap) TC's have a waveform that is sort of a sawtooth (tending towards a
pulse), I'd expect significant harmonic content.

Now, if you are talking about a monopole antenna, where one end is low
impedance and the other high, odd harmonics are going to be favored. Same as
an open/closed organ pipe.